Thursday 10 November 2016

Sorry for the delay in posting something, like everybody else it´s non-stop isn´t it? I have to say that this module is getting more interesting by the week! I am discovering views and opinions that I have never really thought about before. I´ve always thought of myself as having opinions but "going with the flow" not to cause conflict or to sound silly, or uneducated etc. Today, I feel slightly proud as I was in a meeting and stood my ground, I was not going to be "bullied" into being quite or feeling inadequate! This actually isn´t what I said I would blog about but I just wanted to share that with you all!
I have to admit that I have always been a bit wary about dance being an academic subject (yes I´m a product of dance training from the early 80´s!), but I am seeing the rewards of various frameworks. Gibb´s reflective cycle really has opened my eyes, the fact that feelings and emotions are involved in the learning cycle has made me realise that I could have tackled some situations differently. Would I have had a different experience if I was not so emotional myself, should I have been more professional in my actions? Questions that I still don´t know the answers to yet, but I´m hoping to find out.
Kolb´s experiential learning cycle is fascinating (could be intriguing too because I was a student when his book was published) and I see that his model is something that I practice, but only in my later years. I wonder what path my teaching would have taken if I had experienced this tool at the beginning of my practice? Am I a better teacher because I did not have a framework to connect with, or would it have saved me a lot of time and effort? Would love to hear anybody´s views. Samantha

1 comment:

  1. It is very interesting.
    It could have been easier if you had experienced this tool at the beginning but I believe that what you have learnt is not a coincidence.
    I am in a similar situation. I came from Hungary and there is a completely different culture and approach. I think about my past as a starting point and I realise that I have to open my mind and I use the Gibbs reflective cycle as a pathway.
    I describe my issue and what I feel in the situation. I have to think about what was good and bad. I ask myself, what can I learn from the outcome(s) and what can I do better? These are the most important question for me.
    I believe that life always encourages us to improve and we have to concentrate on the future.

    ReplyDelete